I have turned into this kalejuice popping-whole foods loving-nopoo practising lady ..the kinds of which I was always the first to sneer at. Life is really strange right? 😀 But I must confess that am still not there yet..my only vice-Chicken. This humble meat is something which I can’t give up on..I have these terrible withdrawal symptoms which interfere with my normal functioning and I become so irritable! So the next best thing was to look for alternatives to curb these feelings. Don’t we all have the crazy I-WANT-IT-NOW moments when nothing seems to please us and the only way out is rushing to the store and guzzling down that can of soda or chomping down those cheese sticks. But when you are on a diet or just refraining from monstrous carbs, you really need a way out of this food-frenzy. Here are my 5 favorite ways to calm those recurring cravings. Take a look!
1. CRAVING CHEESE? TRY AVOCADO
You will need: A ripe avocado.
How To: Just scoop out the green-gooey-goodness and mash it well. Use it as a spread for sandwiches or turn it into a dip for your salads. As creamy as that cheese, minus the bad stuff!
2. SWITCH SODA with “FLAVORED WATER”
You will need: 1 Bottle of Mineral Water, Calorie-free flavor enhancer of your choice (I like Dasani Strawberry Kiwi! )
How to: Add a few drops of the enhancer to your water. Check and adjust accordingly. It will make your water taste better and although there won’t be any fizz, it is a wonderful alternative I feel. When you get past this phase, and are strong enough to conquer anything, replace the flavor enhancer with real fruits/green tea/lemons. You can make and store in the fridge for later!
3. MEATLESS MONDAYS made easier with MUSHROOMS
You will need: 1 pack of organic Button Mushrooms
How to: After preparing your curry/base for the entree’ just toss some chopped mushrooms in a separate pan and let them cook for a while. They will lose most of their moisture and turn nice and chewy in a few minutes. Bakes and gravies made yum!
4. SWEET TOOTH? DIY “FRUIT N NUT BAR” to the Rescue!
You will need:
1/3 cup chopped almonds 1/3 cup chopped pecans 1/2 cup honey 3/4 cup Medjool dates, pitted 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats 1/2 cup dried cranberries 1/2 cup chopped dried apples
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Spread nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until light golden, 10 to 12 minutes. 2. Warm honey in a microwave until the consistency of thin syrup.In a food processor, pulse honey, dates, cinnamon, and oats until oats are coarsely chopped. 3. Scrape oat mixture into a medium bowl. Break up any clumpsof dates and, if needed, chop any large date chunks. Stir in nuts, cranberries, and apples. Squeeze mixture into a ball. Line baking sheet with foil and oil foil. Using damp hands, firmly pat mixture onto foil into a compact 6- by 12-in. rectangle. 4. Freeze until rectangle is firm enough to cut, about 20 minutes. Lift rectangle from foil to a work surface and cut into16 bars.Wrap bars individually. They get moister and chewier after standing at least a day. Make ahead:Up to 1 week, chilled, or 1 month, frozen; for transport, pack in containers to protect them.
Recipe via myrecipes.com .You can add or omit out ingredients accordingly!
5. YOGURT as your SALAD DRESSING
You will need: 1 pack of organic Greek yogurt, salt and pepper, dried parsley, organic dried herbs
How to: Mix these ingredients according to taste and toss it on the salad of your choice. Goes great with your Caesar!
I am also sharing this image (via snapfitness.com), which shows 10 healthy food swaps!
Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!Until next time..